Subject: forcing ethernet speeds
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Edwin Foo <efoo@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1999 02:08:48
Hi,

I've been having trouble configuring my 21143 - it doesn't want to get out
of Fast Ethernet mode. When the kernel boots, it says "enabling 100baseTX
port", and since I don't have a fast ethernet network, things don't work
for obvious reasons. Is there an entry in the FAQ somewhere about this? I
can't seem to figure out what options I need to set in order to force the
card back to the slower speed -- searching through the if_de.c source
hasn't helped me much. I'm sure this is a simple problem though.

For reference, this is what I get at boot:

de0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0
de0: interrupting at eb164 irq 9
de0: DEC DE500-BA 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0
de0: address 08:00:2b:c3:ea:8b
de0: enabling 100baseTX port

The platform is NetBSD/Alpha

thanks,