Subject: Re: New malloc(3) in current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1999 08:53:43
In article <19990619134231.A21825@rek.tjls.com>,
	Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
> You recall incorrectly.  Our old allocator is about as fast as it possibly
> could be, but *extremely* space-inefficient.  The FreeBSD allocator is
> slightly slower, but much, much more efficient.

How do we want to integrate it? I would prefer to keep the old one because
my system has plenty of memory. But I can imagine that other people prefer
the new one.

> I'm a little surprised it made your "make build" _that_ much slower --
> you weren't doing anything else on the machine at the time, were you?

No, except reading a few e-mail with "mutt" during both builds and a
nice RC5 client there was nothing running.

> I'm not sure make UPDATE=1 build is entirely fair, either, since that isn't
> guaranteed to rebuild the same sources -- in fact, it's extremely likely
> that it won't...

I always do "make cleandir" *after* building. That's why I use "UPDATE=1"
to skip the unnecessary clean before building.

	Regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/