Subject: Re: New malloc(3) in current
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/1999 13:42:31
On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 12:30:21PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> 	Greetings programs,
>
> after Thor Lancelot Simon imported FreeBSD malloc(3) source recently I built
> a "libc" using it. Although the new "libc" worked fine it was slower than
> before. A "make UPDATE=1 build" needs 1:20h with the old one and 1:29h with
> the new one. But IIRC correctly the FreeBSD malloc(3) is supposed to be
> faster. So what is happening here?

You recall incorrectly.  Our old allocator is about as fast as it possibly
could be, but *extremely* space-inefficient.  The FreeBSD allocator is
slightly slower, but much, much more efficient.  I'm a little surprised it
made your "make build" _that_ much slower -- you weren't doing anything
else on the machine at the time, were you?

I'm not sure make UPDATE=1 build is entirely fair, either, since that isn't
guaranteed to rebuild the same sources -- in fact, it's extremely likely
that it won't...

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"