Subject: HEADS UP: FreeBSD malloc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1999 15:38:10
I've just added FreeBSD's malloc to our libc.  For the moment, it will be
compiled and used *only* if you set MALLOC_NEW in your /etc/mk.conf.

This malloc is a much better compromise between speed and efficiency than
our old malloc -- it is usually just about as efficient as GNU malloc,
while not much slower than our old, very inefficient malloc.  It can be
used to build the system, even for commercial, binary-only use, because it
is not under the GPL.

I have tested this on i386 and alpha.  I would appreciate feedback from others
who use this malloc, particularly on other platforms such as arm32, m68k, and
sparc.

It's important to know that because of a bug in the VM system this malloc
currently sidesteps resource limits on memory use since it allocates with
mmap() instead of sbrk().  This malloc will not become the default malloc
until the VM bug is fixed.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"