Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <fessel@DeTeMobil.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1999 13:58:57
--==_Exmh_1463016342P

In message <C75BA13E11D7D211A7280000F86B14270311C7@zen.crl.dec.com>you write:
> Mailbox sizes are currently hovering between 10 and 30 megabytes per user,
> but there are a few especially profligate people with > 50-100 megabyte
> mailboxes. IMAP clients are variable - there is a mix of Eudora Pro 4.x,
> Netscape Mail, Pine, and even a web-client called IMP.
>
> The clients don't timeout. It's just that listing the contents of large
> mailboxes (say, a sent-items mailbox) takes on the order of 2-3 minutes or
> more for about 2000 messages. I know that having smaller mailboxes is the
> obvious solution, but I don't want to have to start imposing on people's
> methods of organizing mail.

I don't have any such problems with a much larger hierachical mailbox using
cyrus-imap and Netscape Mail client.  Worst times around were ~1 minute,
typical updates are < 30 seconds.

nixalsverdrus# du -s oskar
231768  oskar

on the other hand, I do not have that many messages:
nixalsverdrus# ls oskar | wc -l
    1277
nixalsverdrus# find oskar -type f | wc -w
    2095

I would suggest trying out cyrus...

Grüße
        Oskar

--==_Exmh_1463016342P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBN1+ogbA63tqjeAhZAQGBHgP/ZEsGAZ0UXxzhMW0lZb31hNpChQQdJ8dS
7eKQnY9jJXHuNkkzykY3JVKqeBnIg8UpjkpUV2G3geHURgezUTmmxSCvm+XIDiwr
x545vsMRTfOCnzUGB5sqfpi65uqkickS+0gj4ZX+ZjWo5OzpcbQhxlilijJUXlbI
Ro9ROfknfPo=
=41Ib
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1463016342P--