Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1999 17:06:34
[ On , June 9, 1999 at 14:18:34 (-0600), Chris Jones wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
>
> The last time I tried cyrus, it hooked into sendmail in place of
> mail.local, and it stored email in the spool in a completely different
> format than everything else in unix expects.

It works equally well with postfix, smail-3, and exim, etc.

>  So, if *all* of your
> users intend to use IMAP clients to read mail,

Or POP3, or KPOP.

Remember that there are several 'movemail' and similar clients to slurp
down IMAP or POP inboxes and store them in a Unix-format mailbox.
There's also fetchmail which will re-queue such messages to a private
SMTP server.

> and if you never want
> to convert from cyrus to something else

Using movemail or other tools to slurp down mailboxes and store them in
a unix spool file is quite easy.

You can also just rename the files in the Cyrus spool so that they don't
have a '.' at the end and then access those directories as MH folders.

> and if you never need to read
> mail when cyrus isn't running

This is difficult, unless you're the superuser or the "cyrus" user, but
I don't think it's really that big of a deal.  If you already use IMAP
or POP to read your mail then you need an IMAP or POP server running
anyway, regardless of its nature.  If you don't have a shell account on
the mailbox server then it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't mean to say that everyone should switch to Cyrus IMAPd (I myself
won't likely do so on my own personal server, for example, at least not
unless I find myself roaming to places where SSH is not usable), but I
do want to point out that these objections are not quite as scary as
they might sound.

--
							Greg A. Woods