Subject: Re: cheap RAID?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1999 14:21:40

>> The clients don't timeout. It's just that listing the contents of
>> large mailboxes (say, a sent-items mailbox) takes on the order of
>> 2-3 minutes or more for about 2000 messages. I know that having
>> smaller mailboxes is the obvious solution, but I don't want to have
>> to start imposing on people's methods of organizing mail.

Bill> Hmm.  That's 60ms per message in the scan.. are you sure it's
Bill> disk, and not network latency at fault here?  Have you looked at
Bill> packet traces of client/server conversations?  (60ms per message
Bill> sounds suspiciously like you're getting stuck in
Bill> request-response lockstep...)

If I remember the IMAP spec right (it's been a while since I read it),
it's fairly difficult to get into a lockstep situation like that.  The
server and client are both supposed to be able to communicate
asynchronously.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu