Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1999 07:35:27
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>  wrote:
 > On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:36:07AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
 > >      This is wrong.  ESDI drives respond to the IDENTIFY command, and
 > > possibly other "ATA" commands.  ESDI is a superset of the original
 > > WD1003 command set, and ATA is a superset of that.
 >
 > How does it anserw ? Does it just abort the command or does it report
 > some sensible data ?

My first NetBSD box was a 386-16 with 4MB and ESDI drives on a WD1007(?)
controller and a Micropolis 1355 (170MB disk)... I later moved to a
Maxtor 4380 and later still a Maxtor 8760... All of those drives handled
identification properly and reported correct geometry and size information.

I also used an Ultrastore ESDI controller at one point and the identification
worked through it as well...