Subject: Intel install glitch
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/1999 16:59:06
I don't know much about PCs.  I've installed NetBSD several times
on Alphas.

I just installed 1.4 on an Intel box.  I told it to use the whole
disk.  Everything seemed to go OK, but now it doesn't boot cleanly.
It hangs with a screen describing the configuration and an "LI" printed
below that.  (The disk used to have Linux on it.  I assume that's
the first part of LILO.)

I can boot it by using the install floppy and telling it to boot
wd0:netbsd.

I found the Master Boot Record section in the Intel install doc.
It says to be sure to mark the partion as active.  I tried both the
whole-disk and the other option.  It never asked me if I wanted to
"install newer bootcode" as the doc describes.  I'm pretty sure that
partiton is marked active, or was at one time.

Is there something obvious that I missed?

Is there something I can type from a running system that will fixup
the boot stuff on that disk?