Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@netboss.cdn.telstra.com.au>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1999 08:19:52
> I did that.  The static lease is based on the first lease that the
> DHCP server gave me.  I creamed /var/db/dhclient.leases and rebooted -
> server keeps giving me the same lease:

You shouldn't declare a static lease that's the same as what the
server gave you - that's simply incorrect.   What if the server
decides you're done using it because you didn't renew, and gives it to
some other client?   The only lease you should write into the
/etc/dhclient.conf file is a faked-up lease for a subnet that has no
DHCP service, and on which you have been officially assigned an IP
address.

Anyway, I'm glad that you came to the same conclusion I did WRT the
media directive.  You really shouldn't put anything in the
dhclient.conf file that you don't fully understand, though - a
completely blank dhclient.conf file will work fine!

			       _MelloN_