Subject: Re: CD to mpeg3 - Summary
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/1999 22:41:44
Brett Lymn wrote:

> According to Simon Burge:
> >
> >Thanks to the many people who responded to my question.  The short
> >answer was "sox", which I somehow missed the in package collection.
> >

> For the brave you can try a thing called tosha to rip tracks from a
> CD.  The source claims that it is specifically for FreeBSD but it
> compiled and ran fine for me on NetBSD.

Unfortunately tosha is for SCSI CDROMs only.  If you've
used tosha, could you check out the FAQ entry at
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Documentation/misc/index.html#create_mpeg3 and let
me know if it approaches reality?

> There is a source form
> encoder called encoder-1.0 for people who are interested - I never
> could find the source for bladeenc :-(

I notice FreeBSD has a package for an encoder called mp3encode based on
the original "dist10" encoder/decoder.  I'll look into bringing that
one into NetBSD if noone beats me to it.  Do you have a reference for
encoder?

Simon.