Subject: problems with second ide drive
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/1999 00:12:40
I just installed a second ide drive on my machine, but I am having a lot
of problems with it. I am running current as of two days ago... The drive
and the controller are:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: Intel 82371FB IDE controller (PIIX)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
wd1 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 1: <WDC AC24300L>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd1: 4112MB, 8912 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8421840 sectors
wd1: 32-bits data port
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2

With the default configuration, (using DMA mode) I could write to the drive.
I labelled it and made a few filesystems on it. When I started writing a lot
of crap on it, it paniced. After the reboot the label was gone. I relabelled
it and I could find the filesystems and fsck them. Again after I tried to
write to them, I got a panic and when I rebooted the label was gone.

It seems that somehow I am getting inconsistant data from it, because
when I tried to mount some of them, I got bad superblock, but if I did
an fsck to the filesystem that failed, then I could mount it sometimes.

Then I added in flags not to use ultra dma and it made no difference.
Finally I gave up and made it use just PIO, the label stuck around,
and I could use the filesystems. Then, when I tried to untar something
big in one of the partitions, I can consistently get it to panic in
ffs_hashalloc ->...-> sys_mkdir.

Any ideas on what to do next?

wd0 is an old 500M drive running in dma mode 1 and pio mode 0 and it works
reliably.

christos