Subject: Re: restore(8)/tape quirk in 1.4?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/1999 16:53:50
On Mon, 17 May 1999, Hauke Fath wrote:

#
# # What is this "user buffer"?
#
# # Why is 1.4 restore(8) incapable of dynamically adjusting to a tape's
# (fixed) buffer size -- contrary to what the man page says? Why is it
# incompatible to pre-1.3 NetBSD dumps - without comment?

Yow.  Haven't hit this one yet.

#
# # Why do I see a descriptive error message on the console, but only
# misleading stuff ("tape read error: Input/output error") from dump(8)?

Because the error message on the console comes from the kernel, not
from dump(8).

#

On another tangent, on a disk-to-disk dump, I get 370KB/sec.  I thought
transfer rates were supposed to be in the megabyte range?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The power to serve, also.