Subject: Re: /usr/lib
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1999 14:02:14
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Eric Delcamp wrote:

: - I have deleted /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.0.1 (because I have
: libstdc++.so.2.0;-). Helas, KDE don't want to work any more. So, where could
: I get this lib ? I don't see it in KDE tar files.

All libraries with a different major version number (0.x versus 1.x versus
2.x) are _not_ backwards-compatible with each other.  All libraries with a
different minor version number (x.0 versus x.1 versus x.2) are backwards
compatible (you can delete all but the newest).

To gain back 1.3 binary compatibiliy, use the "emulators/compat13" package
from pkgsrc.  This may also be available as a binary package for some
architectures.

: - When using a FreeBSD program, versions numbers of FreeBSD libs won't match
: NetBSD libs version. How to get a working FreeBSD emulation ?

Use the "emulators/freebsd_lib" package from pkgsrc.