Subject: Re: Lots of Oerrs on ex*
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1999 08:31:29
On Tue, 11 May 1999 19:20:07 -0700
 "Scott Ellis" <scotte@warped.com> wrote:

 > Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
 > Colls
 > ex0   1500  <Link>        00:60:97:37:b9:74    48014     0    58806   859
 > 692
 > ex0   1500  192.168.1     192.168.1.1          48014     0    58806   859
 > 692
 >
 > Neither of the other two machines used in the test show any Ierrs or Oerrs
 > (and they both report being in Half-duplex mode, like they should be), which
 > brings me back to thinking it's something specific to the ex0 interface.
 >
 > Any other ideas on what could be making this weirdness happen?

I see the problem... ex_getstats() counts deferrals as oerrors, which
is incorrect.  Deferrals are a normal part of Ethernet transmissions,
and should only be counted as errors if an excessive number of them
occurs (which causes the packet transmission to fail).

The bug in the driver is harmless; it just skews the stats.