Subject: Re: Lots of Oerrs on ex*
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1999 03:39:42
On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 12:27:13PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> Scott Ellis writes:
>
>  > This sounds reasonable...so I reduced the network to be just the offending
>  > machine, the hub, and another 100BaseTX system, and then transferred data
>  >
>  > Any other ideas on what could be making this weirdness happen?
>

> For the sake of completeness, can you eliminate the hub and use a
> crossover cable?

Yes, that.  I just helped someone with this problem a couple of days ago --
he had a crappy NE2000 clone attached to the same hub as his machine with
some nicer PCI card.  He was getting huge numbers of collisions.  Why?
Because the crappy NE2000 was trying to do full-duplex even though it was
connected to the hub with coaxial cable!  Since it was a hubbed network, every
time the NE2K transmitted everyone else saw collisions.  Yee ha!