Subject: Re: X vs. wscons
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1999 23:18:52
Paul Goyette writes:

> The simple solution, of course, is to remove the getty line for ttyE0
> from /etc/ttys.  But it would be really nice if there were some way to
> tell the X server which ttyE[0-7] to use;  I'd really like to have it
> avoid ttyE0 since there might be a console message or two worth looking
> at.  :)

This is especially easy since you're using wscons.  Using the 1.4 default
/etc/wscons.conf, ttyE4 is enabled, but no getty is run.  You then just
need the following in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05

The 'vt05' is XFree86 speak for the fifth virtual, or '/dev/ttyE4' on
your system.  This allows xdm to launch on an available tty, and it
should work just great.  I use 'kdm' in exactly this scenario, my PC
boots all the way up to the kdm login screen, yet I can always switch
to ttyE0 if necessary.

> Perhaps startup needs to be resequenced so that xdm runs _after_ the
> gettys?

Nope, xdm just needs to know what /dev/ttyE? to use.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.