Subject: X vs. wscons
To: #List NetBSD current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1999 19:12:13
Hi - this problem has been around for some time on my systems, but I'm
not sure exactly when it started.  Might have been late in 1.3.J+ or in
1.4_BETA.  Maybe even earlier, but it's been there since I switched over
to wscons...

Anyway, I use xdm to start my X server, and that happens fairly early in
the boot sequence.  Some time later, init comes around and starts the
gettys.  Unfortunately, due to the sequence, the getty for ttyE0 seems
to take ownership of the keyboard from X.  At that point, there's some
kind of contention, so that Ctrl/Alt/Fn doesn't even work, and I have to
telnet in from one of my other machines to kill and restart xdm.  After
that, everything works just fine.

The simple solution, of course, is to remove the getty line for ttyE0
from /etc/ttys.  But it would be really nice if there were some way to
tell the X server which ttyE[0-7] to use;  I'd really like to have it
avoid ttyE0 since there might be a console message or two worth looking
at.  :)

Perhaps startup needs to be resequenced so that xdm runs _after_ the
gettys?

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |