Subject: Re: union filesystem problems
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1999 11:52:42
Good suggestion, but it's too late in the release cycle, even for
changes as trivial as this.  A week ago it might have been possible.

It's worth noting that I've found the union filesystem to be quite
usable for certain configurations.  I'm using it, and the only bug I
regularly trip over is the "panic during shutdown if cwd is inside a
union", which is easy to work around, but then I don't let hostile
users onto my systems..

Anyhow, I'm going to put some effort into fixing these for 1.5; for
instance, the vn_isunder() routine I added in 1.4 will allow 3645 to
be fixed in the kernel (where the fix belongs); the more recently
reported denial of service is not so straightforward to fix, though.

					- Bill