Subject: Re: Wine package
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/1999 19:13:19
On Sun, 9 May 1999, Eric Delcamp wrote:

: I have installed Wine-current package and Oh ! Surprise ! It doesn't work
: with Win32 apps.
: Why ?

See the MESSAGE file displayed when you install it.

Win32 apps use preemptive multithreading via a kernel-based threading
mechanism (such as clone()) which NetBSD does not yet support, but will be
available in 1.5 (...and possibly, with much testing and approval, a later
1.4 release).

Earlier Wine releases used cooperative multithreading with Win32 apps, which
caused most apps to crash in a Bad Way.  The coop multithreading for Win32
was completely removed from Wine sometime in March.

...and that's why we have both a wine and wine-current pkg.