Subject: Re: Tracking Prevalance of Bugs
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1999 08:33:51
On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 08:20:22AM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>
> >   What if we turn the problem around -- instead of finding out
> > who has problems, what if we found out who _didn't_ have
> > problems, or at least who has such hardware?  For example,
> > volunteers could set up their /etc/rc.local to E-mail their
> > dmesg or some such to a site.
>
> I really, really, really like this idea. This would also help us
> find people to test drivers after changes to them.

  Good!

> Do you have some code to do this? I don't think any changes to the
> distribution are necessary right off; just adding a `dmesg | mail'
> line to /etc/rc.local is a pretty easy change from the user's side.

  I think all we need is a mail alias like dmesg@netbsd.org, or
for now people could mail stuff to bgrayson+dmesg@netbsd.org,
until something official is set up.  I can start collecting
outputs now, except that qmail on netbsd.org doesn't seem to
like the + stuff???  (When I send mail to bgrayson+dmesg, it is
rejected, but mail to bgrayson@netbsd.org works.  Any qmail
experts in the audience?  Am I doing something stupid?)

  So, if people want to start sending ones in, feel free to use
bgrayson+dmesg@ece.utexas.edu for now, but be prepared for that
address to change, as I graduate in a few weeks.  And please use the
+dmesg part of the address, so that these messages don't flood my
main mailbox.  Thanks!

  Here's a one-liner:
dmesg | mail -s "dmesg output" bgrayson+dmesg@ece.utexas.edu

  If anyone wants info out of the collection, I'll have to handle
those by hand for now.

  Brian