Subject: atactl and disk spindown
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/1999 11:08:10
What is the approved method of turning off the ide/ata disk spindown
via atactl?  I've had the following in my /etc/apm/line file for a
while, but it appears my disk still spins down every ~10 minutes or so
only to spin up again within a few seconds.

	atactl wd0 setidle 0

Should I be setting the idle time to some very large number instead?

This is what the kernel says about the disk on boot.  The machine is a
sony 505tx with the bios apm-related disk stuff turned off in the bios
config.

    wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK6412MAT>
    wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
    wd0: 6194MB, 13424 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12685680 sectors
    wd0: 32-bits data port
    wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/