Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1999 17:32:41
>The so-called "second class ports" are only unequal until their
>propnents pony up the resources necessary to make themselves more equal.

No, Greg.  *you* want to make a modula-3 based service part of NetBSD,
*you* get to pony up with the resources to make it availab on all ports.

That is *precisely* what this is about.

You're trying to sneak in support for Modula-3 -- a huge amount of
work -- and then trying to depict it as if that's not what's going on.
My take is, if *you* want NetBSD to use modula-3, *you* come up with
the resources to port it.

>That's how NetBSD got to be as equal as it is in the first place.  I do
>not have the skills to help, but even if I did I'd be unlikely to
>volunteer my time and efforts unless I had some motive for doing so.

Fine. So you shouldnt' get an `official' service until you can
persuade other people to dedicate the resources to *make* it an
official, supported service..  And given the goals of NetBSD, that
means supported on *all* ports.