Subject: Re: vt420 login problem
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1999 08:58:19
On Mon, 3 May 1999, Patrick Welche wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Patrick Welche wrote:
> >
> > What does "telnetd" have to do with logging in from a VT420? Aren't
> > VT420's serial only? Is the VT connected to a VAX, Alpha, or what?
>
> Indeed. Misphrased question, and I try to be so careful! The VT420 is plugged
> into a terminal server, at whose prompt "connect telnet net.bsd.box.ip" is
> typed. The terminal server is ancient. To make matters more "interesting", it
> has 3 passwords enabled, none of which are known. The mystery from my point
> of view is: if telnetd uses "default" out of gettytab to obtain the userid,
> and does this successfully, what is login doing differently to obtain the
> password? c1, f1, i1, l1, lo, nl, and o1 are not set in default. The login
> process from said terminal/terminal server combination to vax vms and sun
> solaris 2 is successful, so I assume terminal <=> terminal server communication
> is OK.

None of that line discipline stuff really applies to the network
connection. It's more likely that telnetd isn't correctly negotiating
the terminal server's capabilities. You could try appending a
"-D report" to the "telnetd" line in /etc/inetd.conf, send "inetd" a
SIGHUP, and then see what that tells you. From looking at telnetd(8),
though, it doesn't look like there's a lot else you could do that
would make a difference, maybe `-k' or `-l'. Worth a shot.

There could more to play with in the server's settings. Can you do a
"connect telnet" without specifying a host, and then "help"? The only
terminal servers I'm familiar with have a recessed button that you
hold in while powering up (takes 5 minutes); this gives you unlimited
access from port 8.