Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 22:56:21
Greg A. Woods writes:

[snip]

>I *have* heard FreeBSDers lambaste NetBSD for not using CVSup (and I
>suspect the frequency of name-calling will drastically increase once
>NetBSD has a public CVS repository that can't be CVSup'ed).

And any such namecalling should, of course, be addressed to the person
that chose Modula-3.

>The NetBSD community should be saying that if you run NetBSD then you
>*can* use CVSup, even if only on a somewhat limited set of (the most
>popular) platforms for the time being.

Surely what the NetBSD community is (and should be) aware of is the
truth: that if you run NetBSD, then there's a good chance that you
simply *can't* run CVSUp, even if you wanted to.

>For those of you who aren't so much worried about the "message" this
>would supposedly send,

Er, what message would it send? That CVSUp sucks insofaras it's
implemented in a language that isnt readily available?

>but are more concerned about the viability of
>CVSup itself, then hurry up and get something ready before the
>repository is made available.  You'll have a hell of a time competing
>against an entrenched user base unless you can offer even more amazing
>benefits, but if you meet CVSup head on with a similar benefits list at
>the very beginning then you'll have a fighting chance.

Greg, *what* entrenched user base?  What* benefits?
Right now, CVSup offers me*zero* benefits.

>In the mean time
>your propaganda is only that:  propaganda.

Just how is the fact that Modula-3 implementations dont exist for most
NetBSD ports `propaganda'? How is the fact that there are no extant
SRC Modula-3 ports for some of the CPU architectures NetBSD runs  `propaganda'?

The only propaganda I see is the
   ``All the worlds an x86, or at least all the world I care about,
    so screw  *you* if you want fast, effective access to the CVS
    repository from other platforms''
message -- the one you articulate so well.

To put it more bluntly: if something better than rsync or anoncvs
is needed, then we *all* need it. CVSUp just is not a solution.