Subject: i386 system won't boot after installing 1.4_BETA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1999 16:15:21
I just installed the i386 1.4_BETA snapshot on a system and now it won't
boot.  This is a P166, ASUS PI55T2P4C, Award Bios v4.51PG.  After the
installation I rebooted and now the system hangs after displaying
'PNP Init Completed'.  I finally realized that it has something to do
with the BIOS configuration of the hard drive-- I checked the BIOS
settings, and it looks like sysinst changed them somehow, because they
were wrong.  Is that even possible?  However, changing the settings back
to what gets autodetected by the BIOS didn't help.  The system still
won't boot.  The only way I've been able to boot is by removing the
hard drive configuration from the BIOS completely.

Any ideas what's going on here and how I can make the system boot
with the hard drive configured?