Subject: Re: CVSup collections for a NetBSD CVS tree
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1999 15:32:16
> > And yet is available for alpha and i386, likely the two machine types used
> > for most of NetBSD's CVS mirrors.  It seems silly to prevent your mirrors
> > or user community from using this facility (in addition to anon-cvs) just
> > because of a personal distaste for Modula-3.
>
>Hey, maybe I want to set up a CVS mirror on a SPARCstation 20? :-)

Then synchronize using a different tool for mirrors that cannot use CVSup,
but no other tool will scale as well on your master repository machine.

>Anyhow, for mirroring actual CVS files for an anoncvs service, rsync can
>do the trick just fine.

Drop a tag across the entire source tree and see just how much faster CVSup
is when compared to rsync.  Remember that the slowest CVSup will go is at
rsync speed - rsync is CVSup's last resort for transferring a file for
instance when the local file has been corrupted or modified.

--
Justin