Subject: Re: Hesiod docs?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/1999 00:53:25
> presumably, Hesiod works so well that, in spite of the hundreds of
> thousands of sites taking advantage of NetBSD's bold decision to
> integrate it, there are no problems or questions whatsoever.

("Hundreds of sites," eh?  Heh.)

Hesiod is pretty simple.  It works well except when version skew leads
to incompatibilities, and in those cases there are good workarounds.
The mailing list is very low-traffic.

> Does MIT release Project Athena software (like Moira and SMS) to the
> public?

There's an almost-up-to-date external Athena Hesiod distribution at
athena-dist.mit.edu:pub/ATHENA/hesiod.  You don't need the MIT
distribution if you're using native support, of course, but the README
file in there does contain some sample zone data, though it's not
comprehensive.

Moira is based on proprietary database software (Oracle, these days).
It changes a lot and is relatively site-specific.  It doesn't look
like we've done an external distribution since '97.