Subject: Re: src/domestic
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/1999 11:33:48
> That's called "crypto with a hole", and the interpretation the feds
> give of the export control laws says that its illegal to export code
> that even hooks conveniently into cryptographic code.

I understand this is why the ebones folks went over kerberos and
removed even the hooks.

On the other hand, if the honest intention wasn't crypto but to have
say per-packet indirect hooks (like streams) I wonder if they
could/would object.  It would be a bit like them objecting to pipes
because some evil foreigner might abuse them to put crypto in the
pipeline:

	echo hello | mail adifferent@foreign.machine

	echo hello | pgp someflags | mail adifferent@foreign.machine

If they can't (or won't) object to the above, then can the same thing
be put into the kernel in the form of pushable modules?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/