Subject: Re: personalities (or lack thereof)
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 23:30:55
On 20 Apr 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

> This is the common trend.  Everyone thinks we're smaller, some even
> think we're dead and not developing.  I even heard one person say they
> considered NetBSD, but "couldn't reach anyone there" -- I know that's
> untrue, but that they didn't even care to try means something.
>
> So, what can we do about publicity?

Correct them. Every time you see a statement about NetBSD that's
not right, point out the problem. Every time you see someone
mentioning another OS doing foo, mention that NetBSD does foo, too.
If everybody starts doing this, we'll get a sort of `SlashBSD'
effect happening. This is how the Linux crowd did it.

Note that I'm not suggesting we get anywhere near as rabid as many
of the Linux folks did. Gentle prods of `Linux is a good system,
but NetBSD also...' are probably better than `|_1NUX 5UX!!!1! N3T85D
R00LZ!1!!' :-)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.