Subject: Re: login: Permission denied
To: Matthias Meyser <Matthias.Meyser@harz.de>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1999 21:48:35
At 10:00 AM 4/18/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 02:21:48AM -0400, Josh Hope wrote:
>> The kdump showed that the permission denied error comes upon trying to
>> get into the home directory. But this makes no sense! I'm looking at the
>> directory right now and it shows that its permissions are "drwxr-xr-x"
>> and that the group "otaku:wheel" owns it (this is all as it should be).
>> *What* could be hindering the action of su trying to access the
>> /home/otaku dir?
>>
>> The /home dir has the same permissions but is owned by root:wheel. Ditto
>> for the / directory (someone suggested checking this).
>>
>> Any ideas on this very enigmatic problem?
>
>As I can remember there was(is) ab nasty trap wenn the homedir by itself
>is (nfs)mounted. Then you have to set the permission of the underlying
>mountpoint in the same way. (umount and then chmod)

I noticed something similar with the snapshot I used Saturday to build a
new machine.  I can't 'su' at all.  So I checked the permissions on the
'su' program.  They're supposed to get suid root, right?  In the snapshot,
none of the suid root programs are.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom