Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 16:27:10
>It sure doesn't look that way to me.  Though they have always spent a lot of
>effort to make it look so at a casual glance...

The general masses seem to know about OpenBSD more than they know about
NetBSD.  I know, it's hard to judge that .... but for example,
regarding the User Friendly cartoon we saw a little while ago, it was
FreeBSD versus OpenBSD ... why wasn't it FreeBSD versus NetBSD?

Okay, that's a sucky example.  Here's another one: I was talking with
someone who was interested in getting VME cards working on some sun4c
machines (yes, that's right, VME on sun4c ... don't ask).  He was
running OpenBSD, and when I asked him why he wasn't running NetBSD, he
said that he felt more people were running OpenBSD.

Now, whether or not that statement is true is certainly open for debate
... but I think that a lot of people _think_ it's true.  Like Michael
Graff has pointed out, OpenBSD does a great job of marketing.

--Ken