Subject: Re: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 12:33:10
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:07:58 -0500
 seebs@plethora.net wrote:

 > >Being in core is a sucky job.
 >
 > Maybe you guys should ask for salaries.  I know I'd contribute a little bit
 > towards the NetBSD project being "better" to work on.

Well, having been there I can pretty much confirm that the job of being
on Core sucks rocks.

It's not an issue of pay... we go into the job knowing that we're volunteers.

The problem is, unfortunately:

	(1) All too often, attempts to delegate tasks fail, in that those
	    who pick up the task fail to complete it.  This causes two
	    problems:

		(a) Things don't get done.

		(b) People learn quickly to not delegate, thus causing
		    their workload to increase to the point of being
		    impossible.

	(2) Because of (1), people complain that things aren't getting
	    done.  All too often, these complains take the form of
	    out-right abuse.

Personally, I got sick and tired of being constantly abused for working my
a** off on a workload that was too large.  In the absense of visible
appreciation for the things I had managed to accomplish, even under these
awful conditions, I wanted my free time back.  So I resigned from Core.

I'm speculating, but I'm very good friends with Herb, and know him pretty
well, and can say with some confidence that he is getting out for probably
much the same reason.