Subject: Re: pmax ld.so in distrib
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1999 10:38:49
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: Yes.  It's a crock. And breaking user binaries from a previous release
: (which is hwat happens if you remove ld.so from a pmax 1.3 elf system,
: which has user-compiled binaries that refer to ld.so, not ld.elf_so)
: isn't really on, is it?
:

The analogy isn't really valid.  There are two things happening here:

- ld.so is now installed as a symlink to ld.elf_so *only if* the compat13
  pkg is installed (fine; 1.4 binaries do not need ld.so).

- libraries with an OLDER major version number are being installed (in
  /usr/pkg/lib, which is the argument right here).

: Installing _any_ libraries with $PKGBASE=/usr will break something--
: unless we bump library major numbers across releases. Which we don't.

The compat pkgs do not contain libraries which only bumped minor number from
1.3 to 1.4.  In particular, the pkgs contain only:

lib/libedit.so.1.0
lib/libg++.so.4.0
lib/libstdc++.so.0.1
lib/libutil.so.4.2

...all of which have changed major numbers.