Subject: Re: pmax ld.so in distrib
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1999 18:17:41
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

> For now, the pkg requires LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set.

Ugh. This is hardly `compatable.'

Why not just have PKGBASE=/usr for this package, by default? It's
not as if this is `foreign' stuff rather than `NetBSD' stuff.

As well, you have to keep in mind what's going to happen if I have
other libs of that era kicking around in my /lib (say, from upgrading
from 1.3 to 1.4). My ELF system will already have symlinks from
/usr/lib/libc.so.3 -> /usr/lib/libc.so.3.1 (or whatever it's called);
That symlink now has to point to /usr/lib/libc.so.3.2 if that
happens to be the newer one in the package I just installed. If we
can't do that, at least returning an error of some sort is better
than having all programs silently still use the older library even
after I've installed a new one.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.