Subject: More info on Tulip confusion
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1999 04:09:15
I managed to get a pair of Tulips going between a NetBSD system and
a DUnix system.  (Both Miatas.)  The trick is/was to set the mode
manually at the console (>>> set ewa1_mode Fast).  It works fine
in half-duplex.  It hangs or crawls if you hit it hard in full duplex.
(FTPing a 100K byte file is enough to provoke the problem.)

At one point, I noticed the LEDs on the cards blinking.  I assume
the autonegotation heuristics are incompatible and they were dancing
around in circles.

Intel 82588s seem to work OK between NetBSD and DUnix systems.  They
agree on full-duplex and it works.

-----

I learned some more about the printout from ifconfig.  The "SIMPLEX"
on the first line doesn't mean half duplex.  It means the hardware
won't hear any packets it sends.

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:08:c7:08:2a:59
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active

The full/half indication is on the media line.  (But the "half" won't
get printed.)

From /usr/include/net/if.h

#define IFF_SIMPLEX     0x800           /* can't hear own transmissions */