Subject: pmax ld.so in distrib
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/1999 11:37:10
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

: > : src/distrib/sets/lists/base/md.pmax
: > :     (simonb - Mon Mar 29 03:10:08 UTC 1999)
: > :     Put ./usr/libexec/ld.so back - it's used for backwards compatibility
: > :     with early ELF binaries.
: >
: > This is part of the compat13 pkg I'm about to commit.  Please revert.
:
: Before I do this, one question.  From looking at the package, the old
: compat libraries get installed in ${PREFIX}/lib.  Under ELF, how will
: old programs know to look in ${PREFIX}/lib for these libraries?

This was an issue I was going to bring up on tech-pkg to get a concensus.
I may end up having the pkg create symlinks for the .so.MAJOR in /usr/lib to
${LOCALBASE}/lib to make ELF systems happy, as ELF has no notion of
`ld.so.conf'.

For now, the pkg requires LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set.

: If this does indeed work (I haven't actually tested it), do you also
: want a pull-up on the 1.4 branch?

The ld.so change is unrelated to the location of the compat libraries; it
should be pulled up regardless.  No port should ship with `compatibility'
binaries (yah, I know, it's the same binary with a different name, but it's
still a deviation from the standard).

Which reminds me, I'll have to fix up the PLIST to allow binary pkgs to add
the ld.so symlink too.