Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1999 20:27:08
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Dave Burgess wrote:

# At 02:11 PM 4/14/99 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
# >
# >  So, I would suggest that we continue to install things in
# >/usr/pkg/etc, but if the user requests it (via /etc/mk.conf or command
# >line arguments to pkg_add) that appropriate symlinks be created in
# >/etc, or even, that symlinks be made in /usr/pkg/etc and point at
# >/etc.
#
# Everyone is going to burn me at the stake.  I just know it.

Fear not, Sir Michael, for I, the Grey Wolf shall defend thee...

#
# I linked /usr/pkg to /usr/local

Perfectly reasonable.

#
# I like it that way.  It works good for me.  This means that I have things
# like "all of the stuff I install gets put into local" rather than having to
# support a third set of path components.

Yep.

#
# I know it's evil and I'm going to Linux for it, but sin be damned. (huh?)

Nope.  It makes more sense than maintaining yet another hierarchy!!

# Anyway; I thought I'd inject yet another random thought into the mix.  Has
# anyone ever suggested making symbolic links to environment variables?
# Something to think about.

I think that's a bit difficult to tackle considering that, other
than handing (int argc, char **argv, char **envp) off to the  exec'd
program (which is deciphered by crt0.o and scrt0.o), the kernel
doesn't care enough about envaribles to do anything with them other
than pass them through unmodified.

# Remember, "Proof by personal incredulity" is not proof....
#
# Just having fun.  You can go back to your serious discussions now.

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day [TM].
	(Have A Nice Day is a registered trademark of the State of California.)