Subject: Re: make install and includes vs. domestic
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1999 00:37:33
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>
>> - Start with a just-installed NetBSD release, sans secr set, and then try a
>> `make build'.  (You with be at this point if you've just finished an
>> exportable build for release, too.)
>
> This is what I don't understand; why do we want to modify the build
> target to deal with a one-time-only situation? Once you've built
> and installed compile_et, it never goes away, even if you do an
> exportable install on your system. It seems to me better solved by
> either installing the domestic set, or by building them by hand.

It happens every time we build distribution sets, at least if we're
following a sound procedure.  It also happens each time someone installs the
distribution without the secr set (which is the case when using sysinst) and
then tries to build the world.  If our user base expands, this latter
problem only gets worse.  We have every reason to eliminate the problem
instead of letting it fester.

--scott