Subject: Re: Netscape question...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1999 08:48:29
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> writes:

> I think motif is more to blame here than netscape. I've
> seen this with other motif apps, and not only on NetBSD
> (sun/SunOS, Solaris, HPs, ...).

Yecch.

> It seems that motif will occasionally grab the X server
> (I don't know why it needs this, but ...). If the
> application crashes or loops while the X server is
> grabbed, bad things will happen ...

I see it most frequenly when I move the mouse off a pop-up
menu, particularly when an animation is running.

In Netscape this usually translates to Button 3 in an
attempt to go back or to reload a page.

It would be really really nice if there were a way to
prevent particular clients from grabbing the server, or at
least to be able to force an ungrab without having to go
out-of-band to post a signal to the offending client.

        Sean.