Subject: Re: USB / wskbd questions/problems...
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1999 13:58:08
kenn@synap.ne.jp said:
> I think it may be a good idea to have `multiplexed' devices; for
> instance, you can read all keyboard events from /dev/wdkbd* devices
> MUXed together by reading /dev/dev/wsmuxkbd0 or something, and all
> mouse events from /dev/wsmouse* by reading /dev/wsmuxmouse0, etc.

Lennard came up with such an idea a while ago...
It's doable, bout not always straightforward - it's not clear
which keyboard is meant is a state change takes place.
I don't think a formal "multiplexer" device is necessary, it
should be enough to tell the wsdisplay device which keyboards
it should accept input from. (I'd like the wscons "glue" code
to go anyway - sooner or later.)
For the mouse, I'd think it would be better to multiplex within
the X server - there is no need to bloat the kernel with.

best regards
Matthias