Subject: Re: make install and includes vs. domestic
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1999 10:57:20
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:

# On 7 Apr 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
#
# > ...you should be able to say "make" once
# > and have it produce a complete set of binaries without installing
# > anything....
#
# Right. In fact, it should produce all of the install sets, with
# correct permissions and owners on everything in those tarfiles.
# There's no need to have root to produce that.

Is there some sort of uid mapping that goes on inside tar with which I'm
not familiar?  Last I knew, it required one to be super-user in order
to make a setuid-anybody-else-besides-yourself binary.

# The install tools may be more difficult, though....

				--*greywolf;
--
Solaris 2 is not an upgrade from Solaris 1.  They just want you to THINK it is.