Subject: Re: Moving crontab to user's home dir
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 19:44:02
On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 05:37:09PM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 8 Apr 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
>
> > uh, so, make the file hostname specific, or something...
> > it's not that hard a problem to solve.
>
> That part of it isn't, no. On the other hand, scanning for changed
> crontabs every minute gets interesting when you have, say, three
> thousand workstations and three thousand users with automounted
> home directories.

Or, as I said in an earlier message, have cron 'register' a list
of files which need to be processed. Then there's no scanning
of home dirs.

Chris made a good point about syntax checking being done at edit
time. That's reason enough for me to feel the crontabs have to
be root (or cron-user) owned.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,