Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI *97*
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 00:13:27
}Frustrated with having no sound on my NetBSD/i386 box at work, due to my
}inability to write a driver for the Yamaha YMF724 chip which is onboard
}my Dell Dimension (someone kindly pointed me to docs, which I have been
}unable to put to advantageous use), I decided to purchase an inexpensive
}soundcard.  So, I saw a "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI" card for $30, and having
}read and re-read Lennart Augustsson's eap driver, I thought, "Great!  I
}*know* this one's supported!"

My husband & I each got one, found someplace that had them on sale for
$18.95, and Creative has a $20 rebate on them.  I wanted a replacement
for my Aztech card that does line in and cd in, but not actual audio
on the card under NetBSD. :(

}Well, I get the thing open, and it turns out, it's an AudioPCI97, *not*
}AudioPCI.  I just *love* it when vendors make changes like this.

I just installed mine, and find out it's the same.

}First, I figured, I'll try just adding a line to the eap driver to get
}it to match this one as well... perhaps it's compatible.  Bzzt.  It matches
}the card, but no sound from anything.  (At least it doesn't crash the
}machine!)  So, I grabbed the datasheet (kudos to Ensoniq for making them
}easily available), and sure enough, there seem to be some incompatibilities
}in the interface.

}Now the question:  has anyone already added support for this?  (Either to
}the eap driver or a new one)  I'm willing to give it a go, but my driver
}skills are minimal at best.

Mine are non-existent, but I'm a willing tester.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu