Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1999 00:29:31
On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 07:40:51PM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, David Maxwell wrote:
> # Mine are in /etc, it's config data. (named stuff)
>
> I figured it has the potential to grow and is not needed at boot
> time, so it went to /var.  (just remembered why I did that)

So it depends whether people feel /etc should be limited to just
things required at boot time, or is a good central place to keep
config information. (Also, please define boot time for the general
public.. I think I know what you mean, but the devil's advocate
says "I run named at boot time.")

> # > .../var/yp?
> # I don't use/care about yp, but I suspect it's config data.
>
> ..and so would belong in /etc, according to your definition.
> Not acceptable, especially for an embedded system.

Do we need to make the default setups all suitable to an
embedded system? Does an embedded system have to have a RO / ?
Couldn't someone symlink it out to somewhere RW if needed?

> # By semi-permanent, I mean that they are not static, like /sbin/init,
> # but are not constantly changing, like /var/spool/mqueue. I find
> # crontabs to be very much like password file entries. (in terms
> # of comparing properties)
> Still bogus, IMO.

Please describe how you find crontabs different from passwd entries.
(qualitatively)

> # Here's my question. If a non-Unix person went looking for cron's
> A non-unix person wouldn't know where the hell to find the kernel and
> probably wouldn't understand what /var was for in the first place.
> A minor point in your favour, but I will say, "educate the poor
> fellow/lady".  A non-unix person certainly has no business mucking
> about with crontabs if they haven't been properly instructed at
> the user level on how to use UNIX.

Okay, poorly phrased. I meant a non-unix person who was given a
basic lowdown on the filesystem hierarchy.

Does anyone disagree that a system is cleaner if similar types
of files are in one place?

> #define SARCASM
> *** why don't we just get rid of /usr/sbin/cron and */cron/tabs
> altogether in the case of embedded systems?
> #undef SARCASM

Or at least consider whether we are trying to tailor the whole
system towards embedability. There are surely design decisions that
have contradictory 'best-fits' for embedded/non-embedded systems.

> # > Alternately, maybe we should just make /etc its own filesystem if we're
> #
> # I'd like to see how that could work. (sarcasm). Please tell me how
> # /etc/rc* and /etc/fstab would be handled.
> Of course not -- you'd have to mount /etc as a unionfs.

I still don't get it. What does the mount? The Kernel?

> # I haven't seen any explanation for why it was moved from /etc in the
> # first place. Anyone?
>
> Because it's VARying data which doesn't need to be present at boot time
> in order for the system to run?  (which is why I have named stuff,
> except for resolv.conf, living in /var)

Okay, so what should the hier entry for /var say?

> My take on it was originally that the absolute essential boot configs
> lived in /etc, while the stuff that was only needed once the system
> went multi-user lived in /var.  I still don't understand why we're
> putting *everything* config related into /etc regardless of its
> importance.  Most of it seems harmless enough to put there even though
> it violates the principle of necessity.

I think it's a principle of orderliness that's trying to make some
headway. I still haven't decided which I prefer, but "leave it alone
cause it's there now" doesn't work for me.

> I think I agreed with the move earlier, but I must have been high
> on something, because it makes no sense to me now.  The only advantage
> I can see for moving /var/cron into /etc is that if /var fills up,
> logging stops.  Of course, that could happen with mail, too.

Cron should not be allowed to eat arbitrary sized files. Someone else
(Perry?) said he'd be commiting a patch for that.

> Of course, if size is really a problem, what's preventing one from
> implementing quotas on /var?

Crontabs are owned by root currently.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,