Subject: killpg: well, something's not right...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 19:59:33
Actually, kill -SIG -$proc seems to work on some processes, but not
others.

A couple of things:  I notice that there is no 'pgrp' field in ps
by which to display pgrps.  I can't even tell which pgrp it's
part of.

Secondly, I am noticing that, particularly within shell scripts,
the process group is not being set properly.  I thought there
was a way to explicitly force a shell to set its pgrp, but perhaps
I've been reading shell code too long and it's inside things like
*csh only.

The disturbing thing is that proper pgrp setting seems to happen
on FreeBSD (tried it there just for grins and kill -SIG -$proc
seemed to work!).  The only reason I can assume that I'm getting
ESRCH is that I'm trying to signal a process group which has been
inherited by init, and, well, we all know about kill -SIG -1 :-).
Not exactly what I had in mind.  But here, again, I don't even know
what process group the processes now belong to, and there's no
way to find out.

				--*greywolf;