Subject: Confirmed: kill(-pid, sig) is broken.
To: Current NetBSD users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 16:03:37

% ps gx
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
26604  pa  Ss     0:00.16 -tcsh (tcsh)
27047  pa  S      0:00.00 sh
27048  pa  S      0:00.00 sh
27049  pa  S      0:00.00 sleep 120
27057  pa  R+     0:00.00 ps -gx
%

Oh, and thanks SO much to the people who gave me such terse helpful advice
consisting solely of "see kill(2)".  I did.  I tried kill.  I tried killpg.
I tried it in the shell.  I tried it in perl.  Under NetBSD, as it stands,
unless this got fixed since NetBSD 1.3I, it is _*broken*_.  I've even
tried to set all their process groups manually and THEN run kill -sig $proc,
and it STILL doesn't work.  setpgrp never gave me an error, so I can
only assume that it worked.

I humbly request that kill(-pid, sig) be *fixed*, please, since I've had
other processes which don't seem to want to die on their own.  Not to
mention that killpg(), from what I see, is supposed to be POSIX compliant,
and since we seem bent on complying with POSIX...

				--*greywolf;
--
I want to upgrade my system from Solaris 2.x to 4.4 BSD.