Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 07:42:09
On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 08:27:29AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> David Maxwell wrote:
>
> > > Why is this change necessary?  IMHO, it isn't.  Leave it alone, there
> > > are more important things to worry about.
> >
> > Why was /etc/rc.conf created? Because it consolidates configuration
> > into one place.
> >
> > hier(7) says
> >
> > /var/    multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files
> >
> > Which doesn't fit semi-permanent user-configuration files.
>
> A quick look through /var on one of my systems shows:
>
> 	/var/crash/minfree
agreed.

> 	/var/db/ntp.drift
Thats no configuration file. It's generated and updated during xntpd operation
and used when no server is reachable, but xntpd will work fine without
(recreating it when it eventually finds out how fast the "real" time is).

> 	/var/games/*
Hm, shared game score files? Is this to-be-backed-up user data or just a
volatile database re-created during normal operation? ;-) I don't know.

> 	/var/yp/[domain]/.ypservers
oh, ypservers. *sigh* maybe yes.

> Should all of these be moved to /etc too?  Maybe hier(7) just needs
> updating...

	-is