Subject: Re: /bin/sh, /bin/csh and the '^C'
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1999 13:35:28
Gandhi woulda smacked you writes:

> /bin/sh, /bin/csh and anything else that doesn't do raw input will
> display the interrupt character in ^x notation.  Try 'restore', 'csh',
> 'cat', etc.
>
> This has historically been true of all unices with sane default settings
> on the tty driver.  The system V driver used to have echoctl unset and
> would print out the raw character; this was especially misleading when
> typing backspace with erase mapped to delete because the cursor would
> move back over the previous character, but in reality the ^H was being
> pushed onto the input queue.

Thanks.  Christos already informed me about this.  I have gotten used to
the behavior in 1.3.x which must clearly be a bug.  I mistakenly assumed
the change in the behavior of 1.4_ALPHA was actually a bug.  Mea Culpa.
Too late to file a PR on 1.3.x. :-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.