Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1999 19:44:08
On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 08:27:29AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > /var/    multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files
> >
> > Which doesn't fit semi-permanent user-configuration files.
>
> A quick look through /var on one of my systems shows:
>
> 	/var/crash/minfree
> 	/var/cron/*
> 	/var/db/ntp.drift
> 	/var/db/pkg/*
> 	/var/games/*
> 	/var/mail/*			[*]
> 	/var/yp/[domain]/.ypservers
>
> Should all of these be moved to /etc too?  Maybe hier(7) just needs
> updating...

None of those sound like config data to me. DBs are generated, at
boot/run/or daily/weekly time. minfree might be considered config,
why not make it an rc.conf entry, or a sysctl?

> If the issue is "I don't want to back up all of /var", then our dump(8)
Not an issue for me.

> ps: I'm in the "keep /var/cron there camp" :-)  My main reasoning is
> keep the root filesystem quiet - that way it's got less of a chance of
> getting corrupted during crashes, etc.  These days I set up my systems
> with /, /var and "data" partitions like /home, etc.

I'd suggest that on most systems the passwd file gets more writes than
the crontabs do.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,